Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cancer Sucks

I believe everyone has been affected by cancer at some point during their lives, whether it be fighting the battles themselves, or watching a friend or family member struggle with this horrible disease. I posted over a year ago about my friend who lost her battle with breast cancer after 18 months, leaving behind 3 beautiful children (triplet 2 year olds), her husband and many other friends and family members. And you will see the "Save the Tatas" button to the left of this post.


If you are a regular visitor, you may have noticed a new button under the "Save the Tatas" button, which may not be familiar to you. Clicking on this button will take you to the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation's website, where you can make a donation to help with Lung Cancer Research.


Why my sudden interest in lung cancer? Well, unfortunately my friend Jamie was not the last person I know that had to deal with cancer. This past November my Grandma passed away from lung cancer, 2 months after being diagnosed. She didn't have any symptoms, and by the time they caught it, it had spread to her liver. Of course, you must assume that my Grandma smoked for years and years, but that assumption would be incorrect. My Grandma never smoked a day in her life. And this is more common than you think. Lung cancer is not a smoker's disease. Anyone can get it, ANYONE.

I have been looking for organizations like Save the Tatas, the Susan G. Koman Foundation, etc. for lung cancer, but they are very difficult to find. For some reason, it appears that lung cancer has been shunned from research, fundraising and support type groups. I bet you can't even tell me what color ribbon symbolizes lung cancer. But, you can instantly spout out what color is breast cancer awareness. I'm not saying that all of the breast cancer groups are bad, all cancer research is great...anything to get rid of this horrid disease forever.

I found an article SFGate.com that I found very interesting. It states:

Every day, about 500 Americans are diagnosed with lung cancer. The disease surpassed breast cancer in 1985 as the largest killer of women.

With few early symptoms and no techniques for early detection, lung cancer is rarely caught before reaching stage 4. Five years after diagnosis, only 15 percent of lung cancer victims are still alive, a statistic that has been static for 40 years.


(You can read the full article here)

So, if you would like to help with lung cancer research, please click here to view the PSA from the Bonne J. Addario Lung Cancer foundation and click on the button below to donate your $20 today.

No comments: