Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Days of School

Monday was Caiden's first day of Preschool/Daycare Center. Before Monday he has been at an in-home daycare all of this life. I can remember my first day of Preschool and how much I HATED not knowing anyone, so I was really dreading Caiden's first day...but I had been talking up going to school and how much fun it would be to Caiden for a while.

So Monday came and off to school we went. As soon as he got there, he declared to the teacher that he was 4 and that he got new shoes that can make him jump! He stuck close to me, until we found a cool train track/road thing that he could build. Once he started playing with that, I told him it was time for Mommy to go to work...and with a waive he said "Bye Mommy!" Wow, that was pretty easy! I spent all day at work on Monday wondering what he was doing, how he was doing and hoping he was having fun and making friends. When I picked him up, the teacher said he had a pretty good day. Cried once that he missed Mommy, but then was better and went to play. Caiden told me about some of the fun stuff he did that day and he seemed like he had a pretty good time.

Tuesday came and it was time for school again. Drop off was a little tougher, he wanted me to hold him and didn't want me to go. I told him I had to go to work, and the teacher took his hand and they went to find the toy animals. I could tell he was on the verge of tears, but I didn't see any before I left. When I picked him up, he was not playing and running like the day before, but was sitting in the chair outside next to the teacher. We was thrilled to see me and told me about the picture he colored and that he got to paint. He took me inside to show me his art work.

Wednesday, Day 3. I told my mom last night, I think it was going to get worse before it gets better. I hit the nail on the head. This morning he wanted Mommy to hold him and he cried on my shoulder, which of course made me cry. He didn't want me to go, but I promised him he would have fun. I took him to the table and asked him to color me another picture. He wanted a hug, which of course I gave him, but then I found myself stuck in a headlock with my 4 year old's arm around my neck...not letting go. After a few more hugs and kisses (and a raspberry or two on his cheek) and walked out...tears rolling down my cheeks. He was still sniffling when I left. I gave him a star sticker at home, which I kissed before I put it on his shirt. I told him that sticker would be my kisses for him and he could wear it all day. I "recharged" it a couple of times before I left...I hope it helped.

No comments: