Monday, May 18, 2009

Infertility

Infertility. Really....me? Huh...infertility is one thing I never thought I would have to deal with. I have one child, and it only took 5 months to get pregnant with him. This time around, it has been 5 months since I have had a period. So I went to the Doctor to try to figure out why.

May 13, 2009
I talked to my Dr.'s office today to get the results from my ultrasound from last week. I had already received the results of the blood test and everything was normal. The nurse told me that he has dictated a letter, but it hasn't been transcribed yet, so she can only tell me what he has written in the notes. His notes say that the results of the ultrasound are consistent with PCOS, Polycystic ovary syndrome, which is the reason I have stopped getting a period recently.

I have a disease - a syndrome technically. I have always hoped that I had been dealt all of my major health issues early in life being born with a cleft lip & palate. Apparently, I will get to deal with at least one other thing in my life.

I have PCOS. My first thought when I heard the news...thank God for an answer. I can deal with this. It isn't cancer...it isn't life threatening...it's just a pain in the butt. I felt major relief. Then, all of the questions...the unknowns hit me:

*Is this something I'm going to deal with my whole life?
*Clomid - really, do we want to temp fate when twins run in my family anyway?
*What does insurance cover?
*Clomid - are we really ready?
*How much does it cost?
*Clomid - really? How am I going to talk my Hubby into that one anyway?
*When did this happen?
*What can I do to make it go away? (does it ever go away?)
*Clomid - really? What if it doesn't work?

I'm still waiting for that letter from the Doctor's office, almost a week later. Wish they'd hurry up and send it out. I'd like to know what all it said...but no hurry, it's just my health we are talking about.

While doing some looking online it looks like the best way to stay on top of this is to eat healthy, lose weight and exercise...all things that hubby and I have been really working at recently. I guess now I have more motivation than ever to stick with it.

Now, I'm back to being relieved, and grateful...grateful for the health I do have...so happy that my family is healthy.

So for now, we just wait. Wait for the letter, wait to see what happens when I lose some more weight, wait to see what the insurance company says...just wait.


I hate waiting!

No comments: