Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 in Review

This year has flown by and I'm not even sure I can remember all of the things that happened this year.

The year started off not so great when we had to put our beloved beagle to sleep after it was discovered he had spleen cancer, and it had spread to his liver and lymph nodes.  He had just turned 9 years old and was our first child.

Remembering Sully
Remembering Sully: Click for more images

Shortly after the loss of Sully, we celebrated Bennett's 3rd birthday.  We took him out to eat, went to the local children's museum and made a final stop a build a bear.  I think he had a pretty good time : )




In the spring I decided the house was too quiet without a dog, so I signed our family up to foster dogs at a local animal shelter.  So far we've had 3 foster dogs and a pair of dogs we watched just over the weekend.  Our second foster dog we adopted.  Our current foster dog, JJ, has been with us since July.  He is a terrier and from what I understand he is a typical terrier, and you have to find just the right owners than love them. (We adopted Simon, the beagle in the middle).



This summer we signed Caiden up for his first year of baseball.  He loved it and although getting there was a little stressful at times, we had a good time.  


Caiden also turned 8 this summer.  We took him and a few friends to play mini-golf at the local golf course.  Fun was had by all and there was no cleaning required for me - bonus!  On his actual birthday, I took the day off work and we did everything he wanted to do for the day - breakfast/lunch at Ihop, snack at Orange Leaf, a trip to Chuck E Cheese and a movie.  


I love this tradition that I started with Caiden. I'm pondering doing this with Bennett too, but that means pulling him out of school once he gets old enough.  Not sure about this one yet.

Oh - let's not forget my husband's losing battle with our charcoal smoker on the 4th of July.  Nothing like dragging the whole family to the emergency room on the 4th with bad burns on your hand - we assured the doctors it had nothing to do with fireworks.  In the end he was VERY lucky to get out with only the 1st and 2nd degree burns he got. After the ER visit and 2 visits to the burn unit, he was basically healed in a week.  You would never even know he was burned now!



Mike and I hit our 10 year anniversary this year and decided to spend it with the kids, and we took a family vacation to Chicago.  We stayed downtown (I think? I don't know Chicago too well) near the Rain Forest Cafe and across the street from a really cool McDonald's.  The hotel's pool was on the roof which was pretty cool.  Of course, I took tons of pictures, but here are just a few!

We went to the Field Museum, Science and Industry Museum and the Aquarium.  I was a little worried about the long drive with a 3 year old, who was just potty trained a few months ago, but he did really well.  All in all, it was a great trip!

To wrap up the rest of the year - I ran a few 5Ks here and there, and also ran in a Marathon relay. I will do this again - what a wonderful experience.  I am still going to school, but I only have TWO CLASSES LEFT!!  I am beyond excited about this.  I have actually completed all of the classes required for my business degree, my two classes are for my Management Information Systems minor.  I cannot wait to be done!

I think that about sums up the year.  Other than losing our dog, it was a pretty good year and I am reminded again and again how fortunate I am that my husband and I have good jobs, a roof over our head, food on the table and our health.

Here's to a Happy and Healthy 2014 everyone!



No comments: